WHAT IS PERSONALIZED LEARNING?
Personalized learning is an instructional approach that will accelerate student learning by tailoring the instructional environment to address the individual needs, skills and interests of each student.
WHY PERSONALIZED LEARNING?
- Leads to increased student engagement and improved student outcomes no matter what the model or style of teaching, the students’ learning preferences or curriculum.
- Can occur anywhere, anytime, anyplace by any learner PREK-12 to adult.
- May use technology tools to enrich and individualize personal learning experiences
- Enables teachers to design each learning experience on student interest, goals, talents, basic skills, 21st Century essential skills, socio-economic and content mastery needs based on performance data.
- Provides school districts with data and tools for making informed decisions about student performance.
HOW IS LEARNING MADE MOST PERSONAL?
Three are four ways, ranging from simple to implement to more complex and expensive.
- Awareness: Definition, Attributes, Reasons and Methods. 3-6 hours
- Essential Evidence-Based Practices: Using protocols to foster students’ goal setting, planning, doing and assessment with Personalized Learning Plans that promote student agency and problem solving.
- School planned transformation plan to introduce added evidence-based strategies and models of instruction (e.g. Project Based Learning) within programs (e.g. STEM, STEAM, Career Pathways) to plan, do and assess models of instruction enriched with technology and PLPs for all students.
- Customized professional learning experiences for your school or district.
HOW IS PERSONALIZED LEARNING ASSESSED?
- Rubrics matched to skill and mindset elements of the plan no bold here match shading.
- Knowledge tests or quizzes for understanding.
- Standards-based grading.
HOW IS PERSONALIZED LEARNING DEVELOPED WITH TEACHERS?
- Hands on, Minds On, Hearts on with constructive feedback
- Teams Plan, Do and Assess
- Facilitated with Design Thinking
- Consider space, time, role, budget, technology and other supports